Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Musical instruments

I%26#39;m about to leave form my first trip to India leaving in 2 days. My husband and 2 kids aged 13 (flautist) and 10 (violinist) are all into music, so I was wondering about bringing home some traditional instruments. One of Deepa%26#39;s previous posts refers to a shehnai, but contains a dead link to a music shop in Mumbai. Can anyone provide me with ideas about small-ish instruments (and specific shops to buy same) in the areas I will be travelling (Mumbai, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur)? I am mindful that Australian quarantine laws would require me to declare anything made of wood or animal skins...



Musical instruments


There is a very big store in Mumbai where we get out Western musical supplies. I am fairly sure they stock some Indian instruments too. Let me check and get back. However, in all probability, by then, there will be numerous here on the subject :)





This store is in South Bombay. Will you be visiting the south of Bombay? Are you looking specifically at wind and string rather than percussion?





Delhi would be the other good bet for you.



Musical instruments


Yes, RoFrank, I will be based in South Mumbai and interested in all types of Indian instruments. Thanks for following up on this :)




Hi fw,





Please email info@furtadosmusic.com. The store is Furtados by the Metro Junction in South Mumbai. They will be happy to assist you. They have a few Indian instruments including the shehnai, but not things like an original veena.





The other place (recommended by a friend) is Haribhau Vishwanath Please see their website : http://www.haribhauvishwanath.com/



Dadar is about half an hour from South Bombay by road. I had been to Dadar and back this morning. So, it is do-able.





Please call for a Meru cab +91-22-44224422 to travel to Dadar in comfort at a very reasonable rate.





In case you still have clarifications, you may have to wait a few days, since I am going to be offline for a few days.





Hope you find what you want and do let us know if so :)




You should visit Sardar Flute, which is where I recently went to buy an Indian flute; and they have several other Indian instruments as well.





Sardar Flute



Gurudwara Building



Dadar East



Mumbai-400014



Landmark: Opposite Chitra Cinema



Phone: +91-22-24131508, +91-22-24135945





I just rang them; I verified that the tel numbers above are correct; they are closed on Mondays.





Take a taxi and tell them ';Chitra Cinema, Dadar';





- Deepa




Do drop in at RikhiRam%26#39;s in Delhi%26#39;s Connaught Place -the shop is practically a museum and pilgrimage for music lovers, and enjoys the patronage of the ustads (maestros) of Indian music. %26lt;http://www.rikhiram.com/aashirwad.php#award1%26gt;





Of course RikhiRam is quite exclusive, and may I add frightfully expensive. Most of my friends buy their musical instruments from Bharat Music House in Lajpat Nagar (South Delhi). The address is B-113, Lajpat Nagar-1 New Delhi - 110024, Ph: 011-29810212, 29819390.





Some others find Bhargava%26#39;s Music Shop (bhargavasmusic.com/westera_instruments2.html)in Darya Ganj friendlier and more charming. If you plan to visit old Delhi/Chandni Chowk this shop will be enroute.




Thanks to all who posted. I did not have time to pursue this so ended up at RikhiRam%26#39;s in Delhi. Yes, it was fun to go, I bought a flute and they were most helpful.



Thanks, FW




Glad you found something, FW

No comments:

Post a Comment